Opinion and observation on a world gone crazy

Joe Gill, journalist and game inventor from Brighton, UK

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Newsnight - a neoliberal ghetto

Dear Newsnight

I saw the panel item on Newsnight last night with 2 bankers and a Cardiff business economist saying Greece will have to privatise everything and needs a dose of Thatcherism to sort out its bloated public sector. Perhaps the Greeks were able to speak beforehand - I did not see this. Paxman did not question this guests at all as they explained Greece was like the UK in the 70s. "Oh I didn't realise it was that bad," he quipped.

Why don't we so rarely see people from the countries involved on the programme? What is it with this reliance on 'experts'? Who do they represent?

Last week Paxman interviewed Michael Chertoff, ex chief of Homeland Security, about the Bin Laden killing. He treated this man with great respect even though most people realise Chertoff is a Bush croney who has a highly questionable record in his various roles and made a great deal of money out of providing airport security technology through his own companies.

Newsnight is like a rightwing neliberal thinktank these days. This is something I have discussed with friends. I was a fan until about 2 years ago when I realised how rarely the editors let anyone heterodox or normal on the programme.

I now rely on online sources, Al Jazeera, Russia Today and other sources. I just think you need to get out more, much as I am sure you work very, very hard.

These panels are deadly dull. More investigative reporters and more unorthodox or heterodox guests to balance things up and Newsnight could become interesting again,

Regards

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment