Opinion and observation on a world gone crazy

Joe Gill, journalist and game inventor from Brighton, UK

Thursday 5 May 2011

Quarter life crisis - official

Finally the academics have identified the 'quarter-life crisis' - a period of emotional upheaval which usually leads to a reassessment of one's life and the start of a new direction. I went through it big time - and ever since wondered if my experience was unusual - after all, it was at least a decade early for the classic mid-life crisis. The features of it, according to the study by the University of Greenwich and Birkbeck, include a sense of being stuck in the wrong job, sexual frustration or relationship crisis - I went through all of these. A cocktail of professional, creative, emotional and sexual disappointment. It usually strikes between 25 and 35. Mine got under way seriously at 30. Apparently it usually lasts around 2 years. Mmmmm - I think mine lasted about a decade! Only toward the end of my 30s did I finally feel that I was moving into a life for myself that felt right, and that I was happy with who I was. Then again my quarter life crisis was probably mixed up with other deep emotional issues, and I had to leave London, which tends to drive even the psychologically robust mad. But I am glad that I can give it a name now, before the proper mid-life crisis strikes.

If you recognise the following, you may have had a QLC too - although to pack all this in to 2 years seems a tad rushed:

Phase 1 is defined by feeling "locked in" to a job or relationship or both.

Phase 2 is a rising sense that change is possible, along with a mental and physical separation from previous commitments.

Phase 3 is a period of rebuilding a new life.

Phase 4 involves developing new commitments that are more in tune with personal interests, aspirations and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment